Wednesday, March 11, 2009

I'm Still Shaking My Head

Monday, March 9 was a rather mixed up day. Daylight savings and the anticipation of my cancer scan really did me in. It was one of those days when I think to myself...Wow, I have a pretty good head on my shoulders, I'm educated, and I'm in touch with what's going on around me. But given all that, I barely made it through the day? Here's how the day went...

  • The kids spent the weekend at grandma and grandpa's while we enjoyed time with friends. We went out to dinner, went to a Buck's game (I won four tickets in the third row). It was fun!
  • Mike and Micah unexpectedly went to the men's Badger basketball game Sunday night. They didn't get home until 10 p.m. Way past Micah's bedtime.
  • Maddy and I went to Patti's house Sunday night. Maddy dawdled with her shower when we got home and didn't get to bed until 8:45 p.m. Yikes, I'm asking for trouble.
  • Mike got up to check the roads on Monday at about 5:00 a.m.
  • I fell back asleep and never heard him come home to shower and leave for school.
  • Maddy came stumbling into the bedroom Monday morning at 7:08 a.m. Holy crap, we overslept!! I get Micah up, both kids get dressed, brush teeth, pack their school bags, etc
  • Micah had math homework that wasn't complete. I told him I'd rather he do it after school than rush and do a sloppy job in the morning. I'm thinking to myself...great, the Garveys are slackin' off again. But then again, we're just like any other "normal" family and these things happen. I try to convince myself of this all morning long.
  • Because we're short on time, both kids grab a granola bar (or so I think) and we head out the door.
  • We're not late to school and the kids actually have a little time on the playground. Whew!!
  • I head back home to get ready for my Dr. appt. I no more than walk in the door and see the two granola bars sitting on the counter. Crap, the kids set their measly breakfast down and went to school with nothing to eat! Micah didn't have his homework done! I immediately go into panic mode, which I would not have typically done, but I was a bit stressed at this point. I call Mike. He's as calm as calm can be and simply asks, "What would you like me to do?" I reply, "I don't know! But kids need to eat breakfast before they go to school. And I'll be dammed if I'm going to take them anything. They had the granola bars in their hands. Why did they set them down!?! They need to remember stuff like this on their own!" He then tells me he's in a meeting and needs to go. Opps!
  • We leave town at 10 a.m. and head to Madison for my appt. While driving, it dawns on me that the kids have Mad Science for the first time today after school. I hadn't gotten any confirmation on it, so it had slipped my mind. I didn't mention it to either one of them, nor did snacks get packed for the 15 minutes between after school and when Mad Science begins. At this point all I can do is shake my head...
  • After we get back to town I run snacks up to school. Micah's teacher mentions that he did ask when lunch was a couple times in the morning. Poor guy going off to school without breakfast! At least they both had a snack to munch on.
  • Needless to say, we all survived the day. The kids had fun at Mad Science. No one starved. I went off to class that evening and kept myself busy and distracted while learning about Dewey and MARC records. Wowzaa!

No comments:

Post a Comment