Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Mud.. and lots of it!

I was at school today, which is a pretty regular thing since I sub and/or volunteer at least a couple times each week. While talking to Micah's teacher at recess, one of Maddy's teachers came to ask what I'd like her to do with Maddy's muddy clothes - should she bag them up or would I like to just take them out to the car? The first thing I asked was, "How did you know I was here?" I had just gotten to school and was waiting for our parent teacher conferences. Silly me to ask such a question... So-and-so had told so-and-so that she saw me down in a 2nd grade classroom. And I guess word travels fast when the Superintendent's kid is covered in mud from head to toe. Anyway, I chuckled a bit and went with Maddy's teacher down the hall to where a small crowd had gathered. I wish I would have had my camera... Maddy and another little girl are sitting in the middle of the hallway on one of those industrial type rugs that they have by the doors in the winter. The girls are covered in thick mud and they are trying to wipe if off with paper towels. Maddy's pink jacket, snow pants, boots, hat, and mittens are now a dirty brown in color. There were actually clumps of mud hanging off of her boots.

Maddy's teacher whispered to me that when she asked the girls what had happened, they simply replied, "We got dirty when we were playing in the mud." The teacher said their expressions said even more... "Hellooo, we're standing here in front of you covered in mud and you ask us what happened. You teach us all kinds of neat stuff every day and you can't figure out why we look like this? What's wrong with you?"

Needless to say, we bagged up all the muddy stuff, and everyone had a little chuckle. I sooo wanted to "accidentally" forget the bags of muddy clothes in Maddy's classroom after her conference, but I really like her teachers too much to do that!

1 comment:

  1. What a great story! Too bad you didn't have a camera! Another blog?! I need to catch up. I've thought about doing a personal one.

    ReplyDelete