Tuesday, March 10, 2009

They're Not Just for Girls Anymore

I subbed in Maddy's class today. It's a team-taught class and the teacher I worked with is awesome! Regardless, it's 3:32 p.m. and I'm exhausted! Those 5k'ers keep you running. And I need to get ready for class and be on the road by 4:00. Arghhhh...

Within the first 5 minutes of being home, there was a screaming scuffle downstairs. Micah was hollering, "Yes I can!" and Maddy was screaming, "No, no you can't!" I continued changing my clothes and hoped that they would resolve the conflict on their own.

No such luck...

Maddy came running up to the bedroom in tears with two of the "Thanks A Lot" Girl Scout cookies in her hands (nice nutritious after-school-snack). I calmed her down enough for her to get out the following words..."He can't have those...sob, sob, sob. I told Micah he couldn't have those, they're only for girls...sob, sob." I foolishly asked, "What's only for girls?" Maddy replied through her tears, "The Girl Scout cookies, they're only for girls, not for boys. Girls, mom, girls! They are cookies for girls!"

I tried not to laugh and then explained that the cookies were sold by the Girl Scouts just like Micah and the Boy Scouts sold popcorn last fall. The popcorn we bought and eat while we watch movies is for everyone, not just boys and the cookies are for everyone, also.

Another important life lesson has been learned...

Now it's time for me to have a drink and maybe a cookie, too...

No comments:

Post a Comment